Right now (November 2017), our Senators and Congressmen have introduced bills in both Houses to do exactly this. However, both bills have been languishing in committees since March.
in the Senate: S. 551: “Nogales Wastewater Fairness Act”
- Senator John McCain (who sponsored this bill): 520-670-6334
- Senator Jeff Flake: 520-575-8633
- Senator Bob Corker (Chair of Committee on Foreign Relations, where bill currently sits): 202-224-3344
in the House of Representatives: H. R. 1410: “Nogales Wastewater Fairness Act”
- Congresswoman Martha McSally (who sponsored this bill): 520-881-3588
- Congressman Raul Grijalva (co-sponsor): 520-622-6788
- Congressman Garret Graves (Chair of Subcommittee on Water Resources and Environment, where bill currently sits): 202-225-3901
Please call these public servants and urge them to move these bills!
Just call (much more influential than an email or letter), you can leave a message. Here are some things you could say:
- I am very concerned about protecting my drinking water and public health here at the AZ/Mexico border.
- I am a constituent (if you are).
- We need federal attention to our border sewage and flood problems before we have another international sewage disaster.
- Please get the Nogales Wastewater Fairness Act out of committee so it can be passed!
- Thank you for your action on this important issue (and Friends of the Santa Cruz River thanks you!)